- Using a heavy based saucepan like a Le Creuset, heat the olive oil, then add the onions. Let them cook for a few minutes till they become soft, then add the garlic. With a slotted spoon remove from the pan leaving the oil.
- Add the Porterhouse Steak to the pan, brown on all sides then remove and set aside.
- Add the bacon to the pan with the carrots. Let them both cook for at least 5 minutes till the bacon browns and the carrots have slightly softened. Add the wine and stock and let it bubble away for another 5 minutes. This allows the alcohol to evaporate.
- Incorporate the onions, mushrooms and meat back into the Le Creuset, add your herbs and season to taste. Put the lid on the pan and let it cook for roughly 3 hours on a very low stove (or about 130-150° in a fan forced oven).
- Preheat the oven to 190°.
- Prepare either your ramekins or pie dish with puff pastry. With melted butter, brush the base and sides of your dish. Cut your sheet of pastry tothe desired shape to cover the base and sides.
- Whilst the meat is still hot, ladle it into the dishes filling to the top. Place the pastry lid on each pie and pinch the sides to seal. Brush the lid of the pastry with butter.
- Place the pie’s in the oven and let them cook for about 30 minutes or till they have turned a nice golden brown.
- Serve with a green salad.