- In a medium saucepan combine stock, water, sugar, lemongrass & sliced ginger. Place on medium heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile combine the white parts of the spring onions, remaining ginger, and garlic in a food processor. Pulse till finely chopped. Add breadcrumbs, fish sauce and beef. Pulse until the mixture comes together (don’t over mix!).
- Form heaped-tablespoons of the mixture into meatballs by firmly rolling them between your palms. This mixture is very easy to roll and should yield about 20 or so meatballs.
- Add oil into a large pot over high heat, add meatballs and leave to brown on one side for 3 minutes. Carefully flip meatballs over and brown for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add simmering stock to the pot with the meatballs through a sieve (to catch the ginger and lemongrass, which you can discard). Turn the heat down and let the meatballs simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the soba noodles and cook for 3 minutes. Add sugar snap/snow peas, cook for another minute.
- Serve soup in large bowls, with generous squeeze of lemon juice and some sesame seeds sprinkled on top.