- Salt and pepper both sides of the steak. Let sit at room temperature, salted, for 40-45 minutes before you cook them.
- In a cast-iron skillet or saucepan, crank the heat up high, high, high. Add in the oil. Set the Rib Eye Steak over the oil and hear it sizzle. After about 30 seconds, flip it on the other side to let it sear.
- Add in the butter, the thyme and the garlic cloves. Tip the pan to the side to let the butter pool together, continuously basting the steak with this flavoured butter. Baste and flip. Baste and flip.
- Do this until steak reaches desired doneness and temperature. If confused, err on the side of undercooking.
- When it looks like it’s nicely coloured, remove the steak and set aside to rest. Don’t touch it. Just let it hang out by itself and rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice diagonally across the grain. Before serving, sprinkle of flakey sea salt, to taste. Then spoon the accumulated juices and leftover flavoured butter over.