- In a small bowl, rehydrate your bread crumbs with milk. Then in a large bowl, mix together all your meatball ingredients until well combined. Shape mixture into 1½-inch balls (you’ll make roughly 40 balls).
- In a skillet, heat oil until shimmering then brown the meatballs for about 2-3 minutes on each side. The meatballs can be slightly pink inside but you can finish it off by braising it in the tomato sauce. Alternatively, you can bake these meatballs in a preheated oven of 190*C (375*F) for about 20-25 minutes.
- To make the sauce, in a saucepan, sautéed the onions in olive oil until it turns slight translucent then add in the garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant. Add in the chilli flakes now.
- Add in the tomato paste and sauté it until it darkens slightly. Then add in the rest of the ingredients except the salt and pepper. Bring the mixture up to a boil on high heat then turn it down to a slow simmer. Simmer the mixture for at least 45mins to 1 hour.
- Cook the pasta according to package instruction. Toss meatballs into sauce and let it braise for a bit. Toss cook pasta into the sauce then season to taste. Before serving, sprinkle more parmesan cheese.
- I like to add in about 1 tbsp. of soy sauce on a dry part of a pan to let it sizzle off before I add the peeled tomatoes in. Does wonders to the flavours.
- If you have a smart rice cooker, you can use that to cook your sauce the night before. Just follow the cooking steps accordingly then let the rice cooker do the boiling and the simmering for you.
- Freeze any extra meatballs (not tossed in tomato sauce already) in the freezer.