At The Meat Club, we understand the importance of pairing the right wine with the right protein to enhance the flavours and create a memorable dining experience. With our good friends Wine Adore, expertise in Portuguese wines, we are excited to offer our customers a unique wine pairing experience.
Portuguese wines have a long and rich history, dating back to the Roman Empire. They are known for their distinct flavors and are becoming increasingly popular among wine enthusiasts around the world. With Wine Adore’s extensive selection of Portuguese wines, we are confident that we can find the perfect wine to complement any of our meat offerings.
To celebrate our partnership, we are offering a special discount of 15% off on the first wine purchase for all our customers by using the code TMC15. Whether you are a meat lover or a wine enthusiast, we invite you to experience the perfect pairing of The Meat Club’s premium meat and Wine Adore’s exceptional Portuguese wines. Without further ado here is your Portuguese Wine Pairing Guide when it comes to our premium cuts!
Ribeye is a cut of beef known for its marbling, tenderness, and rich flavor. It pairs well with full-bodied red wines that have enough tannins to cut through the fat and complement the meat’s flavour. Some good wine options for ribeye include:
- UDACA Touriga Nacional 2015 ($42.50, vivino 3.8) – This is a classic pairing for a reason. Touriga Nacional has bold tannins that pair perfectly with the ribeye’s fat and create a pleasant contrast.
Casa de Santar Reserva Red 2015 ($54.50, vivino 4.1) – A medium-bodied Dao that has a smooth finish and fruity notes that complement the steak’s flavour.
Sirloin is a leaner cut of beef than ribeye, with less fat and a milder flavour. It pairs well with lighter red wines and some full-bodied whites. Some good wine options for sirloin include:
- Clos Fonte do Santo Red Cap 2018 ($74.00, vivino 4.0)– A light- mid bodied Douro made from high altitude vines making this a light bodied red that is fully biodynamic too. It has subtle flavours that don’t overpower the sirloin and accentuate its natural flavours.
- Bacalhoa Merlot 2018 ($48.50, vivino 4.0) – A medium-bodied Merlot has enough tannins to complement the meat and enough fruitiness to add some sweetness to the dish. This wine is one of our best sellers!
Tenderloin: When it comes to wine pairing with tenderloin, there are a few key considerations. First, the wine should complement the meat’s subtle flavor and tender texture without overpowering it. The ideal pairing will enhance the natural sweetness of the meat and create a balanced and enjoyable dining experience.
- Bacalhoa Cab Sauv 2017 ($86.00, vivino 4.3): A full-bodied Cabernet Sauvignon that is said to rival much more expensive left bank bordeaux by our wine community. It pairs well with the tenderloin’s rich and juicy flavor. Its bold tannins and fruity notes complement the meat’s natural sweetness.
- Tapada do Chaves Reserva 2015 ($78.50, vivino 4.4): A silky smooth red from a boutique winery it has a velvety texture that pairs well with the tenderloin’s tender and juicy texture. Its fruity and spicy notes complement the meat’s savory flavors.
Burgers are a classic American dish that can be paired with a range of wines, depending on the burger’s toppings and the diner’s preference. Here are some general wine pairing tips for burgers:
- Ravasqueira Touriga Franca 2019 ($59.00, vivino 4.1) – This wine has enough acidity and fruitiness to complement the burger’s flavor and cut through the fat in the meat.
- Ravasqueira Syrah 2020 ($42.50, vivino 3.9) – A bold and spicy Syrah can add some excitement to the burger’s flavor and pair well with toppings like bacon, cheese, and BBQ sauce.
Pork chops are a versatile meat that can be cooked in many ways, from grilling to baking to frying. They pair well with light-bodied reds or full-bodied whites that bring out their natural sweetness. Some good wine options for pork chops include:
- Bacalhoa Chardonnay 2021($48.50, vivino 4.0) – A full-bodied Chardonnay has a buttery flavor that compliments the pork chops’ richness and creates a balanced dish.
- Clos Fonte do Santo Cherry Cap 2020 ($71.00, vivino 4.0) – A light-bodied douro has enough acidity to cut through the pork chops’ fat and enhance their natural sweetness.
Pork belly is a fatty and flavorful cut of meat that pairs well with acidic and slightly sweet wines that can cut through the fat and balance the dish’s richness. Some good wine options for pork belly include:
- Regueiro Alvarinho Reserva ($48.50, vivino 4.0) – A slightly sweet vinho verde has enough acidity to balance the pork belly’s richness and add some sweetness to the dish.
- Javali PGE 2020 ($89.00, vivino 4.4) – A buttery Douro white that has a bright and fruity flavor that compliments the pork belly’s rich and fatty taste.
- Quinta dos Lobatos 2018 ($57.50, vivino 4.1) A medium bodied Douro pairs well with the pork shoulder’s rich and fatty flavor. It has enough acidity to cut through the fat and complement the meat’s natural sweetness. The 6 months in oak means this wine has retained a lot of the fruity flavours.
- Quinta do Javali Old Vines 2014 ($89.00, vivino 4.4): A full bodied Douro has a robust flavour that can stand up to the pork shoulder’s bold taste. Its fruity and spicy notes pair well with the meat’s savoury flavours.
Salmon is a flavourful fish that pairs well with white wines that have enough acidity to cut through the fish’s oiliness and enhance its natural flavors. Some good wine options for salmon include:
- Ravasqueira Sauvignon Blanc 2020 ($39.50, vivino 3.8) – A light-bodied Sauvignon Blanc has enough acidity to complement the salmon’s flavor and add some brightness to the dish.
- Quinta do Sibio Rose ($53.00, vivino 4.2) – One of our favorite roses of all time. It is elegant, bright and has the acidity to cut through the fatty flavors.
Looking to host a BBQ Party? Take the hassle out of cooking for your next get together! Let The Meat Club sort all of your BBQ requirements, from advising the best cuts & exact quantity required, to having your own chef & wine tasting! Get in touch with us to get your personalised quote now!